Protect Your Body’s Largest Organ
Lets explore the facts:
- On a gray/overcast day up to 80 percent of the sun’s ultraviolet rays can still pass through clouds. Do apply sunscreen (SPF 15 or greater) every day of the year.
- Sun is strongest between 10am-2pm
- A majority of skin sun damage occurs before the age of 18.
- Approximately 80% of premature aging is caused by the sun.
- UVA and UVB wavelengths have different effects on skin but both cause damage.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Sunscreen
Apply sunscreen 15-20 minutes prior to sun exposure. For maximum effectiveness, sunscreen needs to be fully absorbed into your skin.
Use waterproof sunscreen if swimming or sweating. Keep in mind even these formulas will wear off after 30 minutes or more spent in the water or after sweating. They can also easily rub off when you towel-dry after a swim.
Don’t apply sunscreen just to the face. Apply liberally to the entire body, even skin covered by clothing.
Aveda has recently released an amazing breakthrough in sunscreen. Daily Light guard is a mineral based, sheer, non-whitening sunscreen with an SPF 30 that also protects against free radicals*! If you have used a zinc based sunscreen before you know that they can be thick, chalky and unforgiving, forget about wearing them under makeup everyday. If you want the benefits of a natural sunscreen without the mess and embarrassment of your traditional sunscreen this is for you.
Daily Light Guard
Broad Spectrum SPF 30
daily light guard™ defense fluid broad spectrum spf 30
Let Nature help defend your skin’s natural beauty with sheer, weightless defense against the elements that damage skin.
• non-chemical 100% mineral-derived sunscreen technology: advanced coating technology makes zinc oxide and titanium dioxide glide on sheer and smooth as they provide UVA/UVB protection
• with plant-derived pollution defense: kukui seed oil helps strengthen skin’s natural environmental barrier, while an anti-oxidant blend with ginger extracts helps defend against free radical damage
• for all skin types
• 74% naturally derived
Product Usage: Shake well. Smooth/Press onto face and décolleté as the final step in your morning skin care ritual.
*Free radicals are atoms, ions, or molecules that contain an unpaired electron. The unpaired electron makes them unstable and highly reactive. In a process called oxidation, free radicals steal electrons from other molecules—fats, proteins, cell membranes, and even DNA—altering the fundamental structure of the affected molecule. One unbalanced molecule may not sound like a major concern, but oxidation sets off a chain reaction by damaging a cell’s DNA, structure, and ability to function. Over time, oxidative damage accumulates and contributes to aging and a variety of degenerative diseases. (http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/what-are-free-radicals/)