Be Yourself.…Be Beautiful….Be Unique
You may think were referencing wine here, but no, we are talking about a growing trend with women over 40 adding bold, daring color to their hair! From celebrities like Kelly Ripa going pink to the grandma in the supermarket with a mane of silver accented with teal, pink and purple.
More and more we are seeing women adding a few streaks of pure pigment to their hair or going completely against the grain with an allover statement in their favorite shades. Whichever the case may be we LOVE it and hope this confidence to go aglow will continue to grow!
Call Now to Book your Next Color Appointment! 207-251-4688
At Naviina Salon & Day Spa we offer the best of the best when it comes to getting your summer glow on, using the finest in spray tanning, Norvell Sunless Tanning Systems. Whether you are in or attending a wedding, going on a first date, or just don’t want to spend hours in the sun exposing yourself to harmful uv rays for that perfect tan, we have you covered.
Book now and one of our talented tanning technicians will shower your body with a customized golden glow that you’ve only dreamed of!
Here is the best process, and some product recommendations, according to Norvell:
24-48 HOURS BEFORE YOUR SESSION
EXFOLIATE. EXFOLIATE. EXFOLIATE.
Pre-session exfoliation is the first step to achieving flawless spray tanning results. It is best to clear away dry, dead skin cells with a sulfate-free scrub from Norvell. For those needing a little buff, try Renewing Sunless Exfoliator or for those who want a deeper rub, try Intensive Detoxifying Salt Scrub. Go beyond buffing, by using the eXmitt. This will polish and prep the pH balance of the skin to keep orange undertones at bay.
TIPS TO PREP FOR THE PERFECT TAN
Avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products or in-shower moisturizers. Be sure to complete any waxing, shaving or use of depilatory creams no later than 24 hours prior to your session.
DAY OF YOUR SESSION
PREPARE TO BRONZE
As you prepare for your Norvell sunless tan, be sure to wear loose fitting, dark clothing and no jewelry. Tight clothing can run or smear bronzers, especially around the knees, elbows, chest and waist. Before you head to your appointment, there are some important “don’ts” you won’t want to ignore. Deep penetration of the solution is key to a beautiful lasting color.
TIPS TO PREP FOR THE PERFECT TAN
Don’t create a sunless barrier by applying anything to the skin. Avoid applying lotions, creams or perfumes prior to your session. Even use deodorant sparingly. Don’t wear any makeup to your sunless tan appointment, if unavoidable, remove prior to your spray tan.
AFTER SESSION CARE
TIPS TO OPTIMIZING THE PERFECT TAN
Refrain from showering as long as possible, ideally for 24 hours. As with all DHA products, sunless color begins showing development approximately 4 hours post application and continues to darken for up to 24 hours. If you must shower before the 24 hours has lapsed, do so using a warm water rinse only. The use of soap can inhibit full development of DHA. Never fear, cosmetic surface bronzers will wash away during the first shower. Note :: Chlorine can cause premature fading of sunless results.
MAKE IT LAST
Extend and build color between sessions with a daily application of Sunless Color Extender ProLong™ Moisturizer.
TIPS TO TOUCH UPS
For facial color renewal, try Bronzing 4-Faces™ for body color touch up, try any other Norvell Retail Product in the Bronze category.
CELEBRATING 6 YEARS!
Gift Certificates make a perfect Mother’s Day gift!
Stop into the salon or call to purchase a gift card anytime in the month of May and receive a complimentary Stress-Fix lotion sample.
Unable to make it to the salon? Call or email us and we can mail it directly to you!
Norvell Airbrush Tanning $35
Get a natural bronze glow for your prom or wedding anytime in the month of May for only $35!
We are excited to welcome Lauren Herron to the Naviina Team! Lauren is a graduate of Spa Tech Institute. She enjoys all aspects of the beauty industry but finds her passion in cutting, styling, updo’s & make-up! Help us welcome Lauren for the month of May with first time visits receiving 20% off.
Naviina Salon & Day Spa
45 Wells Plaza Suite 6
Wells, ME 04090
Naviina Salon is proud to be an Aveda Concept Salon in that we not only deliver quality services and products to our guests and community but also because we work together to better the planet. Along with our calendar raffle that we launched the beginning of this month, we also have an Earth Month Swag Table set up at our salon with various goodies for you to purchase for the greater good! All proceeds go to the Natural Resource Council of Maine to protect our clean water!
As many of you now know we have been busy at Naviina with updating the look of the salon! Out with the old and in with the new, starting with the replacement of our flooring. (We apologize to anyone who tried to reach us or stop in on the 7th or 8th, we had to shut down our salon and phone lines for the reno!) We also added some oomph to our reception area with a wall covered in reclaimed lumber from an old hotel in Old Orchard Beach! And the piece de resistance is the addition of our new lighted signage for the salon! This is just the beginning of our makeover, please stop in to see for yourself! We hope you love it as much as we do!
Day in and day out, when we are finished styling our guest’s hair, they comment about how much they LOVE the way it looks but that they cannot achieve the same results at home. While we give them tips to try and help them there is still a bit of hesitation, so today we are hoping to give you some much heeded advice to help you and yours to achieve the styles you want! Don’t be intimidated ladies, just read and try!
1. First, are you starting to style with soaking wet tresses, straight out of the shower? This is probably the number one cause of frustration! If you are trying to round-brush locks that are freshly washed you are expending waaaay too much energy. Wrap your hair in a nice terrycloth towel if you have thick hair, or just let it air dry for a bit if you have fine hair and don’t do a thing until your hair is at least 60% dry. Then, start by rough blow-drying (at the root first ladies!) with your hands and then switch to a brush when you are at least 80% dry.
2. Sectioning is KEY, especially if you have a ton of hair. After you have dried your hair to about 80% and are ready to round-brush, you need to section! A good base to start with is a section no wider than the widest part of the brush you are using. Also, section out a mo-hawk on the top for ultimate volume. Start at the nape of your neck and work your way up so that the last section you dry is the top of your head. Begin blow drying at the root and bring the brush down, make an upward motion if you want more volume, keep going back up to the root and back down, and don’t try to wrap the ends until they are almost completely dry.
3. How are you applying your product? The most important thing to remember is to use salon products sparingly! Most salon products are super concentrated, so a little goes a long way. If you are using products for volume, start from the root and work your way down. Conversely, if you are using a smoothing product, start at the ends and work your way up, avoiding the root area.
4. Protect your hair as well, uber important! Heat is damaging so use a good heat protectant, like Aveda’s Brilliant Damage Control. If you like to use hairspray, again go lightly and layer if you need more, also hold the bottle a good 8-10 inches away to create a veil of spray, no one wants stiff 80’s hair anymore, right?
4. Last but not least lets discuss brushing and setting. Size matters ladies, if you have short hair (chin-length or above) use a 1″- 1.5″ brush. Medium length (chin to collarbone) use a 1.5″- 3″. Long hair (collarbone and longer) use up to a 5″ brush. Also keep in mind what your desire for a finished look within those specs, to create more smoothness use a brush that is larger and if you want more wave use a smaller brush. Don’t forget to set! When a section you are working on is completely dry, wrap it in the brush one last time, give it a little blast of warm air and either just let it set for a minute before removing the brush or if your dryer has one, blast it with the cool setting for a few seconds.
We could go on and on but just implementing these tips should improve your styling and time tremendously! Also, check out Aveda’s YouTube channel for great how to video’s!
In honor of Earth day, Naviina Salon along with Aveda and the Natural Resources Council of Maine, are sponsoring a raffle. With the purchase of this calendar, you get the chance to win a variety of wonderful prizes from local businesses. All proceeds from the sale of this calendar go to the Natural Resources Council of Maine (NRCM), Maine’s leading nonprofit organization working statewide to keep Maine’s waters clean and beautiful, with a level of expertise and effectiveness that is unmatched. You are welcome to purchase multiple calendars.
The calendar’s will be on sale from March 1st through April 30th and prizes will be awarded Monday-Saturday staring May 2nd!
Here is a complete list of the prizes to be awarded;
$100.00 to Joshua’s Restaurant
One month membership to Crossfit Indestructable
$50 to Mike’s Clam Shack
A Naviina Signature Massage with Jen (valued at $80)
$50 to Cafe Amore
$50 to Chase’s Flower
$15 to Dairy Queen & a haircut with Amy
A Perkin’s Cove Candies Gift Basket & a haircut with Cassie
A 10 class card from Phoenix Health & Fitness LLC
$25 to Wells Clothing Outlet & a Customized Facial with Kendra
$50 to Mabel’s Lobster Claw
$50 to Jonathan’s Restaurant
A handmade wooden product from Lost Woods Turning Company & a Makeup lesson with Jasmine
$50 to Swamp Dogs Woodworking & a haircut with Shawna
$10 to St. Joes Coffee & a pedicure with Lauren
An Aveda Gift Basket & $25 to Alfredo’s Restaurant
$50 to Litchfield’s Restaurant
$50 to Martingale Wharf
$20 to Las Olas Taqueria & 4 Movie passes to Flagship Cinema
$25 to the Maine Diner & a haircut with Kristyn
A family swim pass to the Rhumbline Resort
$40 to Pine Tree Farm Market & Cafe
$50 to Joshua’s Restaurant
A Spa day at Naviina Salon
$25 to Seacoast Pizza & a spray tan with Kristin
A two night stay at the Village by the Sea & a Gift Card to Clay Hill Farm
Don’t miss out on these great prizes and the opportunity to help preserve clean water!
Drop by the salon or call to purchase your calendars over the phone! 207-251-4688
I recently came across this article from Country Outfitter that sparked something. A lot of our curly haired clientele either don’t know how to care for their curls or are using the wrong products.
This is a breakdown for you along with the products we recommend for keeping your curls looking fabulous!
16 Tips For Girls With Curly Hair That Will Change Your Life:
1. Know your curl type. Different curls require different care and maintenance.
2. Treat it right. Using a weekly treatment will make all the difference in the world.
3. Never brush it. Never, ever.
4. Use a wide-tooth comb right when you get out of the shower.
5. Don’t touch it. The less you touch it, the better it will be.
6. Throw away your towels and use a t-shirt instead.
7. Sea salt spray will be your best friend. It works!
8. A diffuser is a must. Do not attempt to dry your hair without one.
9. If you have fine, curly hair, a spray lotion or gel is best to help manage those wild curls.
10. If your hair is coarse, start with a smoothing cream and add a light curling gel if you need additional control.
11. Don’t always use shampoo when you “wash” it. Just use conditioner.
Our sulfate-free, low-lather conditioning wash with certified organic babassu oil:
- gently cleanses your scalp
- moisturizes curls for up to 3 days
- reduces frizz, leaving curls soft and defined
12. Sleeping on a satin pillow will help keep frizz at bay.
13. Keep it trimmed. Split ends cause hair to appear frizzier than it actually is.
14. Don’t ever let a stylist cut your hair while it’s wet if you want to make sure you get the length you want.
15. Frizz control products really do work. Just don’t overdo them. A dime-sized amount will do!
16. It may not be convenient, but air-dry when possible!
Check out the full line of Be Curly at Naviina today!
Yep, lashes. You know them. You have them. You want more of them. We can give them to you, well, soon we can!!!!
Our talented aesthetician extraordinaire Kendra just spent two 9 hour days training to be a certified Xtreme Lash Stylist!
Xtreme Lashes® Semi-Permanent Eyelash Extensions are natural-looking, synthetic eyelashes applied one by one to each individual natural lash.
Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions were developed to mimic your natural lashes; its design features a tapered tip with a thicker base to resemble the look and feel of a natural lash. The luxurious natural look of Xtreme Lashes® Eyelash Extensions is achieved by a meticulous and artful application of synthetic lashes, all applied one by one to your natural lash by a certified Xtreme Lashes® Lash Stylist.
You can expect your initial eyelash extension procedure to be scheduled for up to 3 hours. This time allows you to rest and be pampered as your Xtreme Lashes® Lash Stylist transforms your lashes to the customized lash look you have selected. With Xtreme Lashes’ diverse inventory of over 600 individual styles of eyelash extensions, you and your stylist can design a tailored look to compliment your natural beauty.
Here is some eye candy for you to look at 😉
Kendra still has about a month of training left before she is ready to work on clients so in the meantime she will be busy practicing on our lucky staff to perfect her lash building skills! We will let you know as soon as you can start booking your luscious lash appointments!