I came across this article the other day listing the best foods for luscious locks! They say you are what you eat and that includes the health of your hair. Eating these foods along with using quality products will give you the best your tresses can get. Here is the list in a nutshell.
- Spinach- Packed up with nutrients like vitamin A, beta carotene, folate, vitamin C and iron. They work for maintaining good scalp and improve hair quality.
- Guava-A super fruit, it is full of vitamin C, which protects the hair from being brittle.
- Sweet Potatoes-Sweet potatoes are loaded with beta carotene which our body converts to Vitamin A. Your dry and dull hair turns beautiful by eating this simple tuber regularly.
- Eggs- Eggs are rich in Vitamin B called biotin which helps for hair growth.
- Lentils- Folic acid is needed for the body to bring back the health of red blood cells. These red blood cells improve oxygen supply to scalp. Eating plenty of lentils will result in ample folic acid in the body, leading to long lustrous hair.
- Amla- Amla, or gooseberry, is attributed to the health of hair from generations.
- Almonds- Indians use almond oil for oiling hair, they provide magnesium to the body which helps in growing healthy hair.
- Walnuts-Omega 3 fatty acids in walnuts help grow hair well. Two walnuts a day creates magic with your hair.
- Carrots-Carrot prevent hair loss, it helps hair grow faster and aid in getting thick hair.
- Flax Seeds and Sunflower Seeds-These seeds are rich in zinc, protein, potassium, selenium, biotin, iron, copper, vitamin E, Vitamin B, Magnesium and Calcium.
Aveda’s products are formulated without parabens, phthalates and sodium lauryl sulfate.
We work hard to ensure that ecological and cultural diversity is represented by responsibly sourcing key ingredients from different habitats all over the world.
Through fair compensation, we positively impact the people and economies from which some of our products’ ingredients are sourced.
Aveda firmly believes that we will succeed in our goal by striving to use what we call green ingredients in our products whenever possible. Our definition of a green ingredient requires that it meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Naturally derived, which we define to be those for which more than 50% of the molecule comes from a plant, non-petroleum mineral, water, or some other natural source.
• Certified organic.
• Sourced from sustainable or renewable plant-based origins, and does not negatively impact the ecosystems from which they are sourced.
To Aveda, continued progress and improvement in the number of green ingredients we use in our products is an essential part of ensuring we honor our Mission commitment to care for the world we live in.
Did you know that Aveda has a large library of how-to videos on their website and YouTube!? Well they do and we would love for you to see them and use them for your benefit! Not only do they cover women’s hair, they also have videos on men and skin care, this is why we love Aveda and why you should too.
Here are a few of our favorites, Enjoy!
New Yorkers Colleen and Brad Ginsburg were married this past summer at the grooms family home in Cape Neddick. We were honored to provide hair and makeup to the entire wedding party,. Please read the blog by the talented Nadra Photography to learn more about the ceremony and see additional photos. Congrats to the beautiful couple!
February is the month in which we like to spread the love to all of our guests! Along with our couples massage special ( $20.00 off of massages for two with Champagne & Strawberries!), we have decided to offer the chance to win a Manicure, Pedicure, Express Facial or Haircut to guests that purchase any product during the month!
Wedding season is soon approaching, and you want to look your absolute best on the big day! We have go some great news for you, Aveda has just released their long awaited Tulasāra™ Wedding Masque Overnight and Wedding Masque Eye Overnight. These products will help your glow on your wedding day help you look wedding day radiant all year long. What makes these new products so wonderfully unique is that they were modeled after the gorgeous Haldi beauty ritual, which is a key part of the Hindu wedding ceremony. Not only do both products deliver wedding-day skin, they do so inspired by an approach that has been time-tested and proven for generations.
“Haldi refers to the paste that is used in the Haldi ceremony, which is part of a traditional Indian wedding,” explains Divyesh Patel, Director of Skincare Research and Development at Aveda. The paste is a mix of turmeric, chickpea powder, and rose water (Haldi means turmeric in Sanskrit). In the ceremony, married family members spread the paste onto exposed parts (face, hands, arms, legs, feet) of the bride and groom the day before the wedding as an offering of good luck. It is said that if the bride or groom touches an unmarried person of marrying age with the Haldi, he or she will be the next to tie the knot.
The paste itself is bright yellow, representing the color of fire in Hinduism, and, in the case of the Haldi Ceremony, wards off evil spirits and omens on your special day —so it is washed off the skin after setting for three or four hours. “Turmeric is a known skin brightener, so the Haldi also helps the bride and groom look their best for their wedding day,” says Divyesh.
While Aveda’s Tulasāra™ Wedding Masque Overnight and Wedding Masque Eye Overnight do not need to be used on the eve of your wedding (although they can be, of course!), they share some ingredients with the Haldi ritual and serve a similar purpose: they help you wake up to brighter, more luminous skin.
The formulas of the masques contain Curcumonoids, an extract of turmeric (don’t worry, it’s colorless and won’t stain your skin or your sheets). Also featured in both the ritual and the formula: potato and tomato stem cells, which are known for their restorative properties. “Potato and tomato slices are sometimes placed on top of the Haldi in the ceremony,” explains Divyesh. In addition, the formulas contain apricot seed oil, an Ayurvedic ingredient that helps repair the lipid barrier of the skin, working with the skin cell’s natural circadian rhythm to help support skin’s natural repair process that happens at night.
Divyesh recommends users apply a thick coating of the masques and allow the formula to sink in overnight. There’s no need to rinse in the a.m. Adds Divyesh, “applying a product that helps brighten overnight is an effective way to wake up radiant, as your skin shifts into repair mode while you sleep.”
Then, wake up in the morning to wedding day skin.
Join Naviina Salon this Sunday at Clay Hill Farms Wedding Open House this coming Sunday, January 29th from 11-2 and on Sunday, February 5th at Village By The Sea’s Bridal Showcase from 11-1 for samples!
We are booking up fast for the 2017 wedding season, call or stop in to book your services!
Next week enjoy Friends & Family discounts for everyone! Call now to book your appointments for January 16th through the 19th and enjoy 20% off of your services!
*discount for services performed only on January 16th-19th, not valid on gift cards or product purchases, not to be combined with any other discounts.
With 2016 behind us it is time to look at new beginnings. Lucky for you, making our brides look and feel fabulous while they create new beginnings on your wedding day is our specialty. Last year we beautified over 100 brides in preparation for their nuptials. We offer a wide array of bridal and spa services including bridal hair styling, airbrush makeup, manicures, pedicures, couples massage, facials and airbrush tanning. Here are a few of our brides from the past year.
We have already begun to book out for the 2017 wedding season. The earlier you call the easier it will be for us to accommodate you and your bridal party. Please call us at 207-251-4688 and ask for Jen, our wedding coordinator, to assist you .